Honoured to be a Finalized for the Inaugural Johanna Metcalf Performing Arts Prizes
I'm really excited to share the news that I have been selected as one of fifteen finalizes for the first ever Johanna Metcalf Performing Arts Prizes!
My fellow finalists include this amazing group of inspiring artists and creators:
- Robin Dann, singer, composer, pop musician
- Sunny Drake, playwright
- Sarah Gartshore, Indigenous playwright
- Alice Ping Yee Ho, composer
- Jean-Michel Le Gal, Francophone theatre-maker
- Cecilia Livingston, composer
- Melody McKiver, Anishinaabe violist and composer
- Juliet Kiri Palmer, composer and interdisciplinary artist
- James Rolfe, composer
- Lucy Rupert, choreographer and dancer
- Santee Smith, multi-disciplinary artist, producer, and choreographer from the Kahnyen’kehàka (Mohawk) Nation, Turtle Clan from Six Nations of the Grand River
- Maylee Todd, multimedia artist and musician
- Maryem Tollar, composer and singer
- Bageshree Vaze, composer and choreographer
You can find out more information on the Metcalf Foundation website.
Those of you who receive our newsletter already know that we have very exciting news – Njacko Backo and Kalimbas At Work are in the studio right now recording a new album!
The album will be called A Tous Les Enfants de la Terre/To All the Children of the World. This is the first time that Njacko is recording an album with songs on it specifically for young people and schools. The album will include four songs that Njacko already teaches and performs in schools. The remaining 12 songs are written for all ages and share the themes of love, togetherness, and respect.
We are deeply grateful to Le Conseil des arts de l’Ontario (CAO)/Ontario Arts Council (OAC) for their support which has allowed us to begin the recording process. To finish this project, and to respond to our commitment to CAO, we are asking you for your support on our Indiegogo campaign. Recording music independently is a significant financial undertaking. Please follow the link, watch our video and choose a perk that would work for you to help us collect the funds needed to finish the album. We would also deeply appreciate it if you could share this news with your friends!
Link to Indiegogo:
Join us July 7th at 3:30pm at Afrofest (Woodbine Park, Toronto) for a listen to some of our new music! This is a free festival, suitable for the whole family.